Monday, January 21, 2013

Half the Sky

For this terms BLA project, my group choose the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof. We gathered to watch a documentary on it and discuss it. The documentary restated all the things the book said, but really showed the feelings of the women. Half the Sky is a book about women's rights and gives stories of girls sold into sex slavery. It contains pictures that are very graphic and stories that are very disturbing. In short, the book is very deep. Same goes for the documentary we watched. The set-up of the documentary was that Nicholas Kristof (one of the authors of Half the Sky) took various celebrities to some of the countries in Africa and Asia that are the worst in terms of sex trafficking, forced prostitution, rape, and unequal schooling for girls. My group thought that it was a bit ironic that the women traveling to these countries were American celebrities, with the only true thing in common between them and the suffering children they would meet being their gender. However, I think it was a good idea to bring the celebrity's because they were able to see what goes on outside of Hollywood and their famous lives. It was a humbling and eye opening experience for them. The celebrities he took were very moved and responded well to the sights they were seeing. 

Nicholas took the celebrities to Cambodia, Sierra Leone, and Vietnam. In each country he explored different issues including sex slavery, gender - based violence, and education. In our groups discussion, we thoroughly discussed each of these issues. We discussed how brave each girl was for going through sex slavery and getting abused. Some girls were as young as three when they were either sold or raped. It is absurd to think that that young of a child would experience things like that. The way the girls handled themselves after these things happened to them was very inspiring. They were all very positive, loving, and willing. Our group thought that it was amazing how good the attitudes of each girl was. We also discussed how education for a girl is very important. The documentary kept repeating: " When you educate a girl you educate the world." We all agreed. A girl is the stabilizer of the house. They take care of everyone and everything and make sure the work is done when it needs to be. They apply their knowledge and use it to do great things. Go girls!

I personally enjoyed the book and the documentary. I would recommend it to everyone.  My eyes were opened and my heart was humbled. To know that someone is getting raped or sold right now is a hard thing to be aware of. I was able to learn more about what issues are happening around the world. This book moved me and inspired me to do great things. I want to do something with myself. Sure, I can donate to a charity, but I want to change a persons life right in front of them. Be the difference in their life. I want to set up an organization that will benefit millions of people. Just like the girls in the book, I want to be brave. 

This book was absolutely amazing. Be thankful for what you have and who you are. Always believe. Never quit. Strive for more.



No comments:

Post a Comment